Monday, August 24, 2009

Sense and Sensibility Patterns; Girl’s Edwardian Apron~TOS Crew Review

What a FUN item to review! I enjoy sewing. I'm not an expert by any means, but my mother taught me basic sewing when I was young (thank you, Mom!) and I like to create things. I have taught Katelyn basic sewing as well, I want to teach her how to use a pattern, but I do not like the material that patterns are made of [easy to tear and hard to work with!], so I had decided to wait until she was a little older. When I was given the opportunity to review the Girl's Edwardian Apron from Sense and Sensibility Patterns the first thing that got me interested was the fact that I would receive the e-pattern, $7.95 (also available as a traditional paper pattern, $12.95) and I would be able to print the pattern on printer paper. I wondered if the printer paper would be easier to work with? Short answer: It is!
I received an email containing the e-pattern & class combination [$24.95], which includes , e-pattern, and full class instructions...slide visuals in pdf format and audio in MP3 format. Plus an extra 4 demo videos to 'walk you through' some tricky areas. The $25 is well-worth the step-by-step instruction Jennie Chancey, Sense and Sensibility owner, provides! Apron information from the website:

* Sizes 2-14 all included in one envelope.
* Extremely forgiving and adaptable fit!
* Easy to sew. This is a fantastic pattern to use as a mother-daughter project to teach sewing!
* Yardage Chart available online.


Katelyn and I watched the slide show and listened to the audio. Then we read through the pattern instructions and downloaded the pattern...all 25 pages! The 'fun' part was piecing the pages together. I laid out a large piece of white paper to make it easier to line up the pattern lines, then we taped the pattern together and Katelyn cut out the pieces. It was really easy and went fast. The end result was a sturdy pattern...Katelyn had no trouble pinning the pieces to our material! Jennie suggest that you trace the pattern to interfacing to create a sturdy, reusable pattern, but I knew I was going to make four aprons in 4 different sizes (one for me and my 3 girls), so I decided to use the paper pattern. We started with the largest size and worked down to the smallest size, downsizing the pattern as we went. It worked great, and gave Katelyn LOTS of good pattern practice! Once it was time to start sewing, we started with the size 4 pieces(Carrie's apron; see pictures at bottom) . I thought it would be a good size to handle while teaching. Katelyn and I worked together and it was fast, fun & easy! The instructions, especially the step-by-step slides [actual pictures] are a HUGE benefit, especially if you are a visual learner like myself. The end result is an adorable apron that fits Carrie perfectly. Katelyn said, "Mommy, I like to sew," which made my day! Now we need to complete the other 3 aprons! I will post pictures once they are all complete...give me a few days. :)

As we were cleaning up, Katelyn looked at the pattern lay-out page [small scale of the whole pattern] and asked if we could use it to make her American Girl an apron. We carefully measured her doll [waist, chest, & skirt length]. Next, we glued the bodice piece to paper and made it a little bigger, according to our measurements. Once it was cut out, we held it up to the doll and it was the perfect size! Katelyn cut out the remaining doll pattern pieces, pinned the pieces on the fabric, cut them out, and we sewed it up...now her doll will match! Fun!

If you are looking for an easy, affordable way to teach your daughter[s] to sew, you will love this adorable apron pattern with step-by-step lessons. I especially like the big, deep pockets on the apron...little girls love pockets! Check out the wonderful website here... it is chock-full of gorgeous patterns in yesteryear style, super sewing tips and a customer show and tell page. Jennie offers online photo instructions for most of her patterns.


Here's Carrie in her new apron [click on the pics to enlarge them].











No comments: